It is really important how your web design is set up if you want to attract visitors. How it is laid out, the colors, fonts and images that you include or exclude, are all important and can actually mean the difference between the success and the failure of your website.
If you are looking to attract visitors, keep them on your site and keep them coming back then you can do so by trying some of these simple tips for custom web development that should help you get the desired results that you are looking for.
Consider the following for your web design:
- Make sure to have a professional looking logo that will link to your home page. The logo for your website is a very important part of the brand so you need to make sure it is located prominently on your website. You should always use a high resolution style image and try and put it on all of your pages, usually at the upper left corner.
- Consider using intuitive navigation. Typically good navigation options are put in a horizontal menu bar along the top of a website. But don’t forget to consider adding a secondary navigation that is either under the primary navigation or is located on the left margin of the website better known as the sidebar.
- Make sure there is no clutter on your website. To keep your visitors on your website make sure that the pages don’t have competing calls to action or better known as visual clutter such as lots of graphics, animated images and photographs. What this does is draw the visitors eyes away from the important information on the page. Also try to keep the paragraphs short, a single paragraph probably shouldn’t be more than six lines.
- Make sure visitors have breathing room. This means make enough space between your paragraphs and images so the visitor has time to breathe and is more able to take in all the other features on the website. By controlling the white space through the layout will help keep users more focused on the content.
- Make sure that color is used strategically. By using a neutral color palette will help your website come off with a more elegant, modern and clean look. It is a good idea to use a color palette that complements your logo.
- It is also a good idea to invest in professional photography or consider buying professional stock photos to add to your website. Poor quality photos do no good for the website and in fact if the quality is poor, it is better to not have any photos.
- Make sure the fonts used are easy to read and can be read across different devices and different browsers. So make sure the font is one that can be easily read on all devices, so make sure that the font you choose is a universal one.
- Make sure that all pages are designed like landing pages because they all need to have key information about the site and/or business you represent on each page. Not every visitor ends up on the homepage when they get to a website.
- Because of an on-going dispute between Adobe and Apple, it is wise not to include Flash on your website. The days of Flash as being the Internet standard is slowly coming to an end. For example HTML5 is becoming very popular and it has search engine friendly text and functions in most mobile operating systems without requiring any kind of plug ins like Flash does.
- Make sure to include button with all of the web forms you have. It is important however, to make the submission buttons appealing to the visitors and when the visitor hovers over the button it needs to change color, opacity, gradient or font.
Finally it is important that you always make sure that you test out your design once you have put it all together to make sure how it works for different browsers, computers and other devices before you give the final OK for it to be revealed to the world.